Customs Convention on the Temporary Importation of Pedagogic Material
- Type: Convention
- Date of signature: 08/06/1970
- Place of signature: Brussels, Belgium
- Depositary: Secretary-General of the World Customs Organization
- Date of entry into force: 10/09/1971
What is it about?
The State Parties to this Convention, adopted under the auspices of the World Customs Organization (WCO), have to temporarily admit duty-free import of pedagogic material. Pedagogic material implies any material used for purposes of education and vocational training, especially the models, instruments, apparatus and machines therefore. The provisions also apply to spare parts and tools designed for the maintenance, checking, gauging or repair of the equipment. The State Parties have to minimize customs procedures for the temporary admission of pedagogic material and refrain when possible from requiring security for the amount of import duties and taxes. The pedagogic material granted temporary admission has to be re-exported within six months from the date of import. This period can be extended for valid reasons.
Why is it relevant?
The Convention facilitates the international exchange of pedagogic material and promotes scientific education and vocational training within the State Parties. The Convention on temporary admission (Istanbul 26 June 1990) takes up the provisions of the 1970 Convention and incorporates into one single instrument goods and materials previously ruled by numerous international customs conventions.
The provisions of the present Convention do not apply to temporarily imported pedagogic material subject to prohibitions or restrictions imposed under national laws and regulations on grounds of public morality or order, public security, public hygiene or health, or relating to the protections of patents, trade marks and copyrights. All State Members to the United Nations can become a member to the present Convention.
- Customs Convention on Temporary Admission (Istanbul, 26 June 1990)
- Customs Convention on the Temporary Importation of Scientific Equipment (Brussels, 11 June 1968)
- Customs Convention on ATA Carnet for the Temporary Admission of Goods (Brussels, 6 December 1961)
- Convention Establishing a Customs Co-Operation Council (WCO), (Brussels, 15 December 1950)
|Republic of Korea||18/06/1982|