Customs Convention on the Temporary Importation of Scientific Equipment
- Type: Convention
- Date of signature: 11/06/1968
- Place of signature: Brussels, Belgium
- Depositary: Secretary-General of the World Customs Organization
- Date of entry into force: 05/09/1969
What is it about?
The State Parties to this Convention, adopted under the auspices of the World Customs Organization (WCO), have to temporarily admit duty-free import of scientific equipment intended to be used exclusively for scientific research or education. The provisions also apply to spare parts and tools designed for the maintenance, checking, gauging or repair of the equipment. The State Parties have to minimize customs procedures for the temporary admission of scientific equipment and refrain when possible from requiring security for the amount of import duties and taxes. Scientific material granted temporary admission has to be re-exported within six months from the date of import. This period can be extended for valid reasons.
Why is it relevant?
The Convention facilitates the international exchange of scientific equipment and promotes scientific research and education within the State Parties. The Convention on temporary admission (Istanbul 26 June 1990) takes up the provisions of the 1968 Convention and incorporates into one single instrument goods and material previously ruled by numerous international customs conventions.
The provisions of the present Convention do not apply to temporarily imported scientific equipment subject to prohibitions or restrictions imposed under national laws and regulations on grounds of public morality or order, public security, public hygiene or health, or relating to the protections of patents, trade marks and copyrights. All State Members to the United Nations can become a member to the present Convention.
- Customs Convention on Temporary Admission (Istanbul, 26 June 1990)
- Customs Convention on the Temporary Importation of Pedagogic Material (Brussels, 8 June 1970)
- Customs Convention on ATA Carnet for the Temporary Admission of Goods (Brussels, 6 December 1961)
- Convention Establishing a Customs Co-Operation Council (WCO), (Brussels, 15 December 1950)
|Libyan Arab Jamahiriya||18/06/1969|
|Republic of Korea||18/06/1982|
|Syrian Arab Republic||24/10/1974|