Convention of 15 June 1955 on the law applicable to international sales of goods
- Type: Convention
- Date of signature: 15/06/1955
- Place of signature: The Hague, The Netherlands
- Depositary: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands
- Date of entry into force: 01/09/1964
What is it about?
This instrument defines the law applicable to international sales contracts. It has largely been replaced by the Convention on the Law Applicable to Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (Hague, 22 December 1986). According to the Convention the parties themselves may determine the law governing a contract of sale. If no law is specifically chosen, the contract is governed by the law of the State where the seller is established at the time of the conclusion of the contract, unless the contract was concluded in the State of the buyer, which requires the contract to be governed by the law of that State. In case of a sale at an exchange or at a public auction, the domestic law of the country in which the exchange is situated or the auction takes place governs the sale. The Convention does not apply to sales of securities, to sales of ships and of registered boats or aircraft, or to sales upon judicial order or by way of execution.
Why is it relevant?
The weak success of this Convention led to the adoption of the Convention on the Law Applicable to Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (Hague, 22 December 1986), which addresses the same subject and is destined to replace the present instrument.
The application of the law determined by this Convention may be excluded on grounds of public policy. A State Party to the Convention on the Law Applicable to Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (Hague, 22 December 1986) automatically ceases being a party to the present Convention.
- Convention on the Law Applicable to Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (The Hague, 22 December 1986)
- United Nations Convention On Contracts For The International Sale Of Goods (Vienna, 11 April 1980)
- Convention on the Law Governing Transfer of Title in International Sales of Goods (The Hague, 15 April 1958).