Convention on the Limitation Period in the International Sale of Goods
- Type: Convention
- Date of signature: 14/06/1974
- Place of signature: New York, USA
- Depositary: Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Date of entry into force: 01/08/1988
What is it about?
This Convention establishes uniform rules governing the period of time within which legal proceedings arising from an international sales contract must be commenced. It has been amended by a Protocol adopted in 1980 when the United Nations Sales Convention was adopted The provisions of this instrument concern the international aspects of purchasing and sale of goods. The Convention does not deal with actions outside the scope of contracts, such as torts, sales by auction, sales of goods bought for personal, family or household use, sales of stocks, shares, investment securities, negotiable instruments or money, as well as sales of ships, vessels, hovercraft or aircraft or electricity sales. Parties to a contract may agree upon the exclusion of the rules of this Convention.
Why is it relevant?
The standardization of rules related to the limitation period in the international sale of goods may reduce the problems resulting from policies of diverse national legal systems.
This Convention has been modified by the Vienna Protocol of 11 April 1980. The Protocol aims to harmonize the mission of the 1974 Convention with the United Nations Convention on the International Sale of Goods (Vienna, 11 April 1980). By ratifying the Protocol, as State becomes automatically a party to the Convention on the Limitation Period in the International Sale of Goods of 14 June 1974.
- Protocol of the Convention on the Limitation Period in the International Sale of Goods (Vienna, 11 April 1980)
- Convention on Agency in the International Sale of Goods (Geneva, 15 February 1983)
- United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (Vienna, 11 April 1980)
- Convention relating to a Uniform Law on the Formation of Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (Hague, 1 July 1964)
- Convention relating to a Uniform Law on the International Sale of Goods (The Hague, 1 July 1964).
|United States of America||05/05/1994|