Customs Convention on the Temporary Importation of Packings
- Type: Convention
- Date of signature: 06/10/1960
- Place of signature: Brussels, Belgium
- Depositary: Secretary General of the World Customs Organization
- Date of entry into force: 05/03/1962
What is it about?
State Parties to this Convention, adopted under the auspices of the World Customs Organization (WCO), have to temporarily admit without payment of import duties packings, provided that they are identifiable at re-exportation. If they are imported filled they have to be declared as being for re-exportation empty or filled; if they are imported empty they have to be declared as being for re-exportation filled. The State Parties are held to dispense with the requirement of guarantees in favour of an undertaking to re-export the packings in question. Filled packings in temporary admission have to be re-exported within six months from the date of import, within three months if they were imported empty.
Why is it relevant?
The Convention facilitates the export of goods produced on the territory of the Member States and therefore promotes the development of international trade. The Convention on temporary admission (Istanbul 26 June 1990) takes up the provisions of the 1960 Convention and incorporates into one single instrument goods and materials previously ruled by numerous international customs conventions.
The provisions of the present Convention do not preclude the application of restrictions and controls imposed under national regulations on grounds of public morality, public security, hygiene or public health, or for veterinary or phytopathological considerations. Each Member State to the United Nations can become a party to this instrument.
- Customs Convention on Temporary Admission (Istanbul, 26 June 1990)
- Customs Convention on ATA Carnet for the Temporary Admission of Goods (Brussels, 6 December 1961)
- Convention Establishing a Customs Co-Operation Council (WCO), (Brussels, 15 December 1950)
|Central African Republic||23/02/1962|
|Republic of Korea||21/10/1975|