Agreement concerning the International Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of the Registration of Marks
- Type: Convention
- Date of signature: 15/06/1957
- Place of signature: Nice, France
- Depositary: World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- Date of entry into force: 08/04/1961
What is it about?
The Nice Agreement is a classification of goods and services for the purpose of registering trademarks and service marks, detailing class headings along with explanatory notes and an alphabetical list of goods and services. The class headings describe goods by their nature, subject to very broad interpretation. There are 34 classes of goods and 11 classes of services. The explanatory notes offer increased details on the types of goods or services to be included in a class. The alphabetical list is a specific list of goods and services. There are approximately 10000 indicators referring to goods and 1000 referring to services. The Nice classifications are continually revised and updated, a task undertaken by the Committee of Experts, which was created by the Treaty. State parties to the Nice Agreement are required to apply the Nice classification when classifying marks. This registration can either be the principle classification or a secondary one, but it must occur. The usage of the Nice classification is also required for the international registration of marks under the “Madrid System”.
Why is it relevant?
The Nice Agreement simplifies the process of mark registration. Through this system it can be easily verified if a mark has already been subject to registration in a State party.
The Nice Agreement was revised on 14 July 1967 in Stockholm and on 13 May 1977 in Geneva. The Special Union created by this assembly is composed of an Assembly, the International Bureau of Intellectual Property and a Committee of Experts responsible for changes in international classification.
- Trademark Law Treaty (Geneva, 27 October 1994)
- Vienna Agreement Establishing an International Classification of the Figurative Elements of Marks (Vienna, 12 June 1973)
- Protocol Relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks (Madrid, 28 June 1989)
- Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks (Madrid, 14 April 1891)
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||01/03/1992|
|Democratic People's Republic of Korea||06/03/1997|
|Macedonia (The former Yugoslav Republic of)||08/09/1991|
|Republic of Korea||08/10/1998|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||27/07/2005|
|Syrian Arab Republic||28/12/2004|
|Trinidad and Tobago||20/12/1995|
|United Republic of Tanzania||14/06/1999|
|United States of America||23/02/1972|