International Convention to Facilitate the Crossing of Frontiers for Goods carried by Rail
- Type: Convention
- Date of signature: 10/01/1952
- Place of signature: Geneva, Switzerland
- Depositary: Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Date of entry into force: 01/04/1953
What is it about?
This Convention, adopted under the auspices of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), facilitates the crossing of frontiers for goods carried by rail. Adjoining Member States are held to designate a station close to the common border where to carry out the examinations required under the legislation of both countries in respect of the entry and the exit of goods carried by rail. Whenever a station is designated, a zone shall be set up within which officials and agents of the competent administrations of the country adjoining the territory on which the station is established, are entitled to examine goods crossing the frontier in each direction. Within such a zone the application of laws and regulations of the adjoining country, as well as the powers, rights and duties pertaining within the zone to officials and agents, are subject to bilateral agreements. The Convention also provides for means to facilitate and accelerate the examination of goods for transport in international transit.
Why is it relevant?
Intended to increase the amount of goods carried by rail, this Convention is open for signature by states participating in the work of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.
The International Convention to Facilitate the Crossing of Frontiers for Passengers and Baggage Carried by Rail (Geneva 10 January 1952) deals with the same issues but does not apply to goods carried by rail.
- Protocol for the Modification of the Berne Convention of 09 May 1980 concerning International Carriage by Rail (Vilnius, 03 June 1999)
- Protocol for the Modification of the Berne Convention of 09 May 1980 concerning International Carriage by Rail (Berne, 20 December 1990)
- Convention concerning International Carriage by Rail (Berne, 09 May 1980)
- International Convention to Facilitate the Crossing of Frontiers for Passengers and Baggage Carried by Rail (Geneva 10 January 1952)